Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek

So I saw the movie last night. I gotta say the last several installments were so poorly received that I felt a little embarrassed asking for a ticket. Weird, huh?

Anyway, as everybody in the whole world already knows, this one is much better than what we've seen in a long time. Better caliber of actors, better script, better effects, better director, better, better, better.

And do you want to know what my favorite bit was? Of course you do! I think J. J. Abrams is a Star Wars fan. Like a big one. I nearly peed my pants when the cadets were being loaded into shuttles. Looked for all the world like the scene on the third moon of Yavin when the rebels are getting ready to attack the Death Star. And I doubt very strongly that it was coincidental. And the giant random space monsters on the ice planet had exactly the sort of "there's always a bigger fish" look like under the oceans of Naboo. Spock's ice cave? Yup, we got some cross-over! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Oh, wait, did I completely fail to notice the DEATH STAR? Ok, yeah: so it was a "drill" with "red matter", but come on. It poked a hole in the planet with a giant energy beam. Death Star. And in case you missed it, there was totally that same vibe as in Return of the Jedi, where they had to destroy the shield station: can't transport or communicate until the drill / antenna is gone.

So I completely loved it.* Sure, it was cheese-ball, and let the trekkIES whine all they want about canon. I'm starting to think reboots are ok. But I am not on board with a Cliffhanger reboot.

Many thanks to Mr. G for joining me last night.

(And how freakin' cool was it that, for once, Spock got the girl!)



*I think it's safe to say that even Amanda, who just barely didn't hate all things Star Trek (excepting the 3 minutes of Star Trek VI with Christian Slater), would have enjoyed this movie.

No comments: