Monday, June 25, 2007

Caution: Use of this drug may make you a drooling idiot

Or at least that's what the label should say. Hydroxyz 25MG was prescribed for me to stop the itching last week. The doctor described it as a mild sedative, but that doesn't exactly capture it. This shit is a horse tranquilizer, and at only 1/4 the recommended dosage, I can barely function. Granted, I don't itch, but I hardly know where I am right now.

The bottle gives a little more insight: it claims that the drug is also useful as anxiety medication. Um, yeah, I'll give it that; I can only feel 2 emotions right now: slightly happy or slightly angry.

It took me close to 5 minutes the other day to even hear the alarm clock, let alone the 1.5 hours of snoozing I did afterward. Every afternoon when this stuff starts to wear off, I get migraine symptoms (partial blindness, sensitivity to light, slight nausea, fatigue) without any accompanying pain.

My God, the itching is bad, but is it this bad? Everybody who's come to my desk today has asked me if I'm ok, and frankly no: I'm not. I was listening to my iPod a few minutes ago, and when someone came by to talk to me, I couldn't figure out where the music was coming from to turn it off.

I wonder what would happen if I took the recommend 4 / day. Yeesh.

No comments: