Friday, February 10, 2006

How honest are we in our blogs?

I think I've commented on this before, but I've begun to realize that, as more and more people start reading this diatribe, I have to be more and more careful about what I say. Say, for instance, Dean Mongeon hops on over the weekend. Now I can't say anything about mis-management of e-mail systems at the workplace (not that there is any problem, it's a hypothetical).

The problem, in a nutshell, is that the more we open ourselves up, the more we increase our vulnerability.

I've made no bones about my conservative tendencies, and yet several of my more liberal-minded friends are now reading. Should I utterly avoid comment on political issues, lest I silently undermine a friendship?

What if the biggest thing on my mind is a personal problem with a friend? Aren't we sort of keeping these blogs as journals? Pages we can look back on in future years and see what was important to us at the time?

So I'm reduced to talking about how wonderful Alastair is (and he is; don't get me wrong) and what I'm doing to the car. And there this whole blog thing was supposed to be liberating. Sheesh.

No comments: