Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Johnny Cash makes me cry

Amanda and I went to the 67th National Folk Festival on Sunday. What an experience. We watched Ralph Stanley (wow!!) and the Clinch Valley Boys, a group of under 18's called "No Speed Limit", and a bunch of other Southwest Virginia groups. What struck me was the amount of Johnny Cash and Carter Family music that was played. Of course, there were also several songs from the "O Brother, Where are thou?" soundtrack, but the whole thing got me in the mood to pull out the Johnny Cash album we bought.

I'm listening to it right now, and it's just amazing. At least two songs have actually gotten my tears flowing (which is potentially embarrassing at my desk), but the worst of all was "If I Were a Carpenter". Egads, just thinking of that song makes me cry.

Johnny: "If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway? Would you have my baby?"
June: "If you were a carpenter, and I were a lady, I'd marry you anyway; I'd have your baby."

It's a neat song about the power of the love they shared, and it just turns my thoughts so strongly to Amanda.

I love my wife.

(By the way, if you like bluegrass, check out "No Speed Limit". They rock, and their guitarist is the national flatpick champion.)

No comments: