Friday, September 18, 2026

I was paying Strava

I was paying Strava for arbitrary goals that increased my anxiety when I didn't meet them.

I was paying Strava for Power Skills that told me I'm almost strong enough to be a world-tour pro...at 50.

I was paying Strava to create routes that put me on 60mph roads, sometimes against traffic.

I was paying Strava to analyze ~only~ power, cadence, heart-rate, speed, and temperature, when ANT+ has long-since been expanded to support custom data.

I was paying Strava to never finish development of long-sought features like "The Roster" and "FlyBy".

I was paying Strava to develop an unhelpful AI that I immediately disabled.

I was paying Strava to determine my self-worth against the power of guys half my age.

I was paying Strava to pretend that being the fastest rider on a specific piece of pavement is in any way meaningful.

I was paying Strava to then police their reporting on that specific piece of pavement, flagging impossible rides that they promised for YEARS they were getting better at flagging on their own.

I was paying Strava for pricing insecurity. What remained a steady price of $59 for 8 years flew into disarray in 2023 with some members seeing renewal pricing of $99/year and others $79. At $59, Strava is a "who gives a crap" subscription at $5/month. At $79, it falls into the "what gap does this fill?" level of spend.

I was paying Strava for 10 years. $720 that could have bought new equipment or actual coaching.

I'm not paying Strava any more.

No comments: